eISSN: 2299-0054
ISSN: 1895-4588
Videosurgery and Other Miniinvasive Techniques
Current issue Archive Videoforum Manuscripts accepted About the journal Supplements Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors
SCImago Journal & Country Rank


3/2018
vol. 13
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Original paper

Adrenal cysts – optimal laparoscopic treatment

Ryszard Pogorzelski, Sadegh Toutounchi, Ewa Krajewska, Urszula Ambroziak, Łukasz Koperski, Tomasz Wołoszko, Krzysztof Celejewski, Małgorzata Maria Szostek, Wawrzyniec Jakuczun, Zbigniew Gałązka

Videosurgery Miniinv 2018; 13 (3): 288–291
Online publish date: 2018/05/21
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Introduction
Adrenal cysts develop in up to about 0.2% of the overall population. They may account for up to 11% of all pathologies of adrenal glands.

Aim
Is laparoscopic resection of adrenal cysts a method for the treatment of these pathologies?

Material and methods
In the years 2010–2017, a total of 27 patients underwent surgery due to adrenal cysts; those included 18 (66.7%) women and 9 (33.3%) men aged 29 to 84 years (mean age: 42.7). Cyst diameter ranged from 55 to 130 mm. After exclusion of hormonal hyperactivity, parasitic cysts, or, to the best possible extent, cancer lesions, patients were qualified for adrenal-sparing laparoscopic surgery.

Results
All patients were subjected to laparoscopic surgery. Cystic wall resection was performed in 15 (55.6%) patients while adrenalectomy was performed in the remaining 12 (44.4%) patients. The decision regarding the extent of the surgery was made intraoperatively. Histopathological assessment revealed pathological adrenal lesions in as few as 3 (11.1%) patients, with the rest of the study population, i.e. 24 (88.9%), presenting with normal adrenal tissue.

Conclusions
Laparoscopic resection of adrenal cysts appears to be recommendable as a method for the treatment of these pathologies. It is simpler than adrenalectomy and associated with low risk of any pathological lesion remaining within the adrenal gland following careful intraoperative assessment by an experienced surgeon.

keywords:

adrenal cysts, adrenalectomy, laparoscopic adrenalectomy, adrenal cyst resection

references:
Selemis SN, Nisotakis K. Giant adrenal pseudocyst: laparoscopic menagement. ANZ J Surg 2011; 81: 185-6.
Pogorzelski R, Toutounchi S, Krajewska E, et al. Laparoscopic treatment of adrenal cysts – own research and literature review. Endokrynol Pol 2015; 66: 469-72.
Wedmid A, Palese M. Diagnosis and treatment of the adrenal cysts. Curr Urol Rep 2010; 11: 44-50.
Bellantone R, Ferrante A, Raffaelli M, et al F. Adrenal cystic lesions: report of 12 surgically treated cases and review of the literature. J Endocrinol Invest 1998; 21: 109-14.
Major P, Pędziwiatr M, Matłok M, et al. Cystic adrenal lesions – analysis of indications and results of treatment. Pol J Surg 2012; 84: 184-9.
Lyu X, Liu L, Yang L, et al. Surgical management of adrenal cysts: a single-institution experience. Int Braz J Urol 2014; 40: 656-65.
Angelico R, Ciangola IC, Mascagni P, et al. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for hemorrahagic adrenal pseudocyst discovered during pregnancy: report of a case. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2013; 23: 200-4.
Sadai P, Arora S, Greenstein AJ, et al. The pathological features of surgically managed adrenal cysts: a 15-year retrospective review. Am Surg 2013; 79: 1159-62.
El-Hefnawy AS, El Garba M, Osman Y, et al. Surgical menagement of adrenal cysts: single-institution experience. BJU Int 2009; 104: 847-50.
Predeep PV, Mishra AK, Aggarwal V, et al. Adrenal cysts: an institutional experience. World J Surg 2006; 30: 1817-20.
da Silva EC, Viamontez F, Silva VS, et al. Hemorrhagic adrenal cyst. Einstein 2012; 10: 96-9.
Ren J, Wang X, Liu NB, et al. Retroperitoneal laparoscopic decortication and adrenalectomy for the therapy of adrenal cysts, Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2013; 93: 2059-61.
Jannasch O, Büschel P, Wodner C, et al. Retroperitoneoscopic and laparoscopic removal of periadrenally located bronchogenic cysts – a systemic review. Pol J Surg 2013; 85: 706-13.
Kokorak L, Soltes M, Vladovic P, Marko L. Laparoscopic left and right adrenalectomy from an anterior approach – is there any difference? Outcomes in 176 consecutive patients. Videosurgery Miniinv 2016; 11: 268-73.
  
Quick links
© 2018 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe