eISSN: 2299-0054
ISSN: 1895-4588
Videosurgery and Other Miniinvasive Techniques
Current issue Archive Videoforum Manuscripts accepted About the journal Supplements Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors
SCImago Journal & Country Rank


3/2015
vol. 10
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Original paper

Changes in levels of selected incretins and appetite-controlling hormones following surgical treatment for morbid obesity

Piotr Major
,
Maciej Matłok
,
Michał Pędziwiatr
,
Marcin Migaczewski
,
Anna Zub-Pokrowiecka
,
Dorota Radkowiak
,
Marek Winiarski
,
Anna Zychowicz
,
Danuta Fedak
,
Andrzej Budzyński

Videosurgery Miniinv 2015; 10 (3): 458–465
Online publish date: 2015/09/11
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Introduction: The hormonal brain-gut axis is a crucial element in appetite control and the response to surgical treatment for super obesity. However, mechanisms underlying the metabolic response to surgical treatment for morbid obesity are still not clearly specified.

Aim: To evaluate and compare the effects of surgical treatment for super obesity by laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) and by laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) on selected incretins and appetite-controlling hormones.

Material and methods: Thirty-five patients were enrolled in a prospective study. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy was performed in 45.8% of patients, and LRYGB in the remaining 54.2% of patients. Before the procedure fasting blood serum was collected from patients and preserved, to determine levels of selected incretins and brain-gut hormones: glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), peptide YY (PYY), leptin, and ghrelin.

Results: Twenty-eight patients came to a follow-up visit 12 months after the surgery. In these patients selected parameters were determined again. The percentage weight loss was 58.8%. The ghrelin levels had decreased, and no statistically significant difference was observed between the two procedures. After both surgical procedures a statistically significant reduction in the leptin level was also observed. Peptide YY levels statistically significantly increased in the whole studied group. The GLP-1 level increased after the surgical procedure. However, the observed change was not statistically significant.

Conclusions: Both treatment methods result in modification of secretion patterns for selected gastrointestinal hormones, and this was considered to be a beneficial effect of bariatric treatment. The laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, being a procedure resulting in a metabolic response, seems to be an equally effective method for treatment of super obesity and comorbidities as the laparoscopic gastric bypass.
keywords:

bariatric surgery, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG), Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB), ghrelin, leptin, glucagon-like peptide 1

  
Quick links
© 2019 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe