eISSN: 1896-9151
ISSN: 1734-1922
Archives of Medical Science
Current issue Archive Manuscripts accepted About the journal Special issues Editorial board Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors
SCImago Journal & Country Rank
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Clinical research

Frequency of thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer in thyroidectomized patients with Graves’ disease

Caglar Keskin
,
Mustafa Sahin
,
Rovshan Hasanov
,
Berna Imge Aydogan
,
Ozgur Demir
,
Rifat Emral
,
Sevim Gullu
,
Murat Faik Erdogan
,
Vedia Gedik
,
Ali Riza Uysal
,
Nilgun Baskal
,
Demet Corapcioglu

Online publish date: 2019/01/11
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Introduction
Incidental thyroid cancers are frequently detected in patients operated on for Graves’ disease (GD). There are no clear data about the incidence and risk factors of incidental thyroid cancer in operated GD patients. The aim of this study is to evaluate the risk of thyroid carcinoma in surgically treated GD patients.

Material and methods
The data of 121 GD patients who underwent total thyroidectomy in a single center between 2005 and 2015 were retrospectively evaluated. The diagnosis of thyroid cancer was based on pathological examination.

Results
Thyroid cancer was demonstrated in postoperative pathology specimens of 34 patients who were surgically treated for GD (28.1%). Preoperative thyroid ultrasonography (USG) revealed a nodular goiter in 62 (51.2%) patients. Nodules were not detected in the other 59 (48.8%) patients with GD. The frequency of thyroid cancer was significantly higher in patients with nodules (38% vs. 16%; p = 0.009). Thirty-two of the 34 cancer cases had papillary thyroid cancer (PTC), and the remaining 2 had follicular thyroid cancer (FTC). Of the 32 PTC patients, 28 were classical type, 2 patients had the follicular variant, 1 was the oncocytic variant, and 1 was a tall cell variant.

Conclusions
The incidence of thyroid cancer was higher in patients who underwent surgery for GD. In addition to a careful physical examination in the follow-up of the patients with GD, ultrasonographic evaluation should be performed. Surgical treatment should not be delayed in patients with GD when indicated.

keywords:

Graves’ disease, thyroid cancer, thyroid nodule

FEATURED PRODUCTS
Quick links
© 2019 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe