eISSN: 2449-8580
ISSN: 1734-3402
Family Medicine & Primary Care Review
Current issue Archive Manuscripts accepted About the journal Editorial board Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors Ethical standards and procedures
SCImago Journal & Country Rank

 
3/2021
vol. 23
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Original paper

Patients’ attitude and practice toward reporting potential COVID-19 symptoms among the Al-Ahsa population in Saudi Arabia

Mohammed Albarqi
1
,
Abdullah Almaqhawi
1
,
Afnan Y. AlRasheed
2
,
Munirah I. Alohaymid
2
,
Shaykhah A. AlSaeed
2
,
Hessa S. Al-Moaibed
2
,
Betool A. Alkwitem
2
,
Fatimah K. AlKhalifah
2
,
Shaima F. AlDoughan
2
,
Jawaher Y. AlRashada
2
,
Ahmed Elshebiny
3
,
Hany S. Elbarbary
3, 4

1.
Department of Family Medicine and Community, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia
2.
Medical Interns at King Faisal University in Al-Ahsa, Saudi Arabia
3.
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Egypt
4.
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia
Family Medicine & Primary Care Review 2021; 23(3): 261–268
Online publish date: 2021/10/05
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Background
The new coronavirus pandemic, which appeared at the end of the year 2019, was the greatest in recent decades, and it affected almost all countries and economies, causing a highly significant number of deaths.

Objectives
This study aimed to evaluate patients’ knowledge and attitude when experiencing potential COVID-19 symptoms toward reporting their illness and following viral preventive precautions.

Material and methods
A cross-sectional study conducted among the general population in Al-Ahsa, Eastern region, Saudi Arabia. A self-administered questionnaire distributed among the general population, divided into three parts: socio-demographic characteristics, previous COVID-19 infection and attitude toward experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. A total of 504 responses collected in this study from December 15, 2020 to January 15, 2021.

Results
We found that 31.7% were positive among the participants who did COVID-19 testing (48.8%). The level of knowledge showed that more than half (52.2%) were classified at a low knowledge level, while the rest were classified as good (47.8%). Regarding attitude, nearly two-thirds (64.1%) showed a negative attitude, while 35.9% showed a positive attitude. The workplace during the pandemic and family history of COVID-19 were the factors associated with both good knowledge and a positive attitude.

Conclusions
The knowledge and attitude toward reporting potential COVID-19 symptoms were generally suboptimal. Male participants, holders of a university degree in the medical field, health practitioners or having a family member working in the medical field demonstrated better knowledge, while those who had a COVID-19 test and those with a family history of the disease positively influenced the attitude.

keywords:

COVID-19, attitude, knowledge, infections

 
Quick links
© 2021 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe