eISSN: 2353-561X
ISSN: 2353-4192
Current Issues in Personality Psychology
Current issue Archive Articles in press About the journal Editorial board Journal's reviewers Abstracting and indexing Contact Instructions for authors Ethical standards and procedures
SCImago Journal & Country Rank

 
3/2021
vol. 9
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Original paper

Type D personality and acceptance of illness in people with inflammatory bowel diseases. Mediating role of self-esteem

Olga Graf
1
,
Beata A. Urbańska
1
,
Patrycja Uram
1

1.
Institute of Psychology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
Current Issues in Personality Psychology, 9(3), 205–214
Online publish date: 2021/06/14
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Background
Type D personality is analyzed more and more frequently in the context of various chronic illnesses, including bowel diseases. Acceptance of illness is affected by many factors that facilitate adaptation to the difficulties and limitations and support the heal-ing process. One of those factors may be self-esteem.

Participants and procedure
One hundred fifty-nine individuals, aged 18 to 65, participated in the study. 67% (n = 107) stated that they have ulcerative colitis (UC), and the remaining 33% (n = 52) reported suffering from Crohn’s disease (CD). The following measurement tools were used: Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale (SES), Acceptance of Illness Scale (AIS), and Personality Type D Scale (D14).

Results
The conducted analyses revealed significant correlations between all studied elements. Self-esteem was proven to be a full medi-ator in relations between one of the dimensions of type D personality, negative affectivity, as well as between both dimensions of type D personality (negative affectivity and social inhibition) and acceptance of illness in individuals with bowel diseases. However, mediation analysis did not confirm that self-esteem is a mediator between social inhibition and acceptance of illness.

Conclusions
The results show that self-esteem is, for an individual, an essential resource in coping with an illness and adjusting to it. There-fore, providing patient support in the scope of reinforcing self-esteem may prove to be one of the key elements affecting illness acceptance.

keywords:

self-esteem; acceptance of illness; type D personality

Quick links
© 2021 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe