eISSN: 1897-4295
ISSN: 1734-9338
Advances in Interventional Cardiology/Postępy w Kardiologii Interwencyjnej
Current issue Archive Manuscripts accepted About the journal Editorial board Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors
SCImago Journal & Country Rank
3/2010
vol. 6
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:

Original paper
Long-term follow-up of percutaneous peripheral interventions in lower limb arteries in patients with acute coronary syndrome and diabetes

Stanisław Bartuś
,
Zbigniew Siudak
,
Michał Chyrchel
,
Tomasz Rakowski
,
Artur Dziewierz
,
Michał Brzeziński
,
Jacek Skowronek
,
Beata Bobrowska
,
Marcin Suska
,
Jacek S. Dubiel
,
Dariusz Dudek

Post Kardiol Interw 2010; 6, 3 (21): 117-121
Online publish date: 2010/10/01
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Background: Diabetes mellitus is a quite frequent comorbidity among patients with acute coronary syndromes (ACS). The presence of diabetes has also predicted poor outcome after lower limb percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA).
Aim: To determine outcomes of patients with and without diabetes mellitus treated with PCI and PTA at index hospital stay during a 12-month follow-up.
Material and methods: There were 116 NSTACS (non ST elevation acute coronary syndromes) patients gathered in this prospective registry study in 2003-2009 in one academic center in Krakow, Poland.
Results: Data on consecutive patients who underwent PTA and PCI procedure during the same hospital stay were analyzed. Of these, 16 (14%) had diabetes mellitus, the other 100 (86%) had no history of diabetes. Both groups differed significantly with regard to gender and past medical history. During one-year observation 12.5% patients died in diabetes group vs. 2% in non-diabetes group (p = 0.033). Diabetes mellitus has turned out to be a strong predictor of outcome measured by the occurrence of repeated percutaneous peripheral procedure in 12-month observation.
Conclusions: Patients with diabetes mellitus have more aggravating past medical history with more frequently coexisting comorbidities. Diabetes mellitus in patients with ACS treated by PCI and PTA is associated with impaired 1-year survival. Diabetes itself is a strong predictor of repeated PTA procedures.
keywords:

peripheral angioplasty, diabetes, acute coronary syndrome, limb ischaemia

Quick links
© 2019 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe