eISSN: 1896-9151
ISSN: 1734-1922
Archives of Medical Science
Current issue Archive Special issues Subscription
SCImago Journal & Country Rank

 
4/2009
vol. 5
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:

Vulnerability: food safety and research are common denominators in guaranteeing food safety and defense concerns in any society

William P. Switzer

Arch Med Sci 2009; 5, 4: 637-639
Online publish date: 2009/12/30
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Over time a Society evolves due to its increasing complexity, changing its level of expectation of the individuals responsibility for their own personal welfare and their expectation of a State or National entity to provide for them. This evolution is gradual but over time places extreme but unintentional pressures on essential components that are designed for the welfare of the Society.
We are fast approaching this stage in regards to the situation in many of the developed countries, including the USA. The problem is how we can continue the production of adequate food to feed the rapidly increasing population of the world, including the USA. This is a problem so important that we must begin to solve it now) (http://www.aasp.org/shap/issues/ v17n6/v17n6advocacy.htm)(http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/EIB45/). This requires a marked increase in the visionary development of both present and new food production ability that maintain the quality and safety of the food, which can be easily abused.
The national census of 1850 was the watershed for distribution of Rural and Urban population in the USA. The industrial revolution that characterized the period from the late 1800s until the early 1900s accelerated this shift of the USA population from Rural to Urban. The replacement of human labor required for food production with machine labor in the early 1900s accelerated the decline in the amount of human labor required for food production until today where about 1.5% of the total USA population produce the major portion of the food for the remaining 98.5% of the population. An example of this is that the year 1940 was the first year that the nations corn crop averaged 40 bushels an acre. Today the 2009 national average bushel per acre production is predicted to be 156 bushels per acre. Chicken, egg, turkey, and swine production has become concentrated into very large units. The dairy industry is approaching that state and there is preliminary indication that some portion of beef production may go that route. The 94 million dairy and beef animals are currently valued at $49,000,000,000.00 (http://www.genome.gov/27531571). Egg farms now have as many as 3.6 million hens in a single farm. We now have the major portion of our population with difficulty identifying the origin of their food beyond the supermarket. This has resulted in a tremendous reduction in the voting power of production Agriculture.
The estimated value of the livestock and...


View full text...
Quick links
© 2021 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe