eISSN: 1897-4295
ISSN: 1734-9338
Advances in Interventional Cardiology/Postępy w Kardiologii Interwencyjnej
Current issue Archive Manuscripts accepted About the journal Editorial board Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors
SCImago Journal & Country Rank
3/2010
vol. 6
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:

Original paper
Conservative strategy in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction

Jarosław Zalewski
,
Krzysztof Nycz
,
Tadeusz Przewłocki
,
Monika Durak
,
Marek Andres
,
Piotr Lech
,
Piotr Pieniążek
,
Krzysztof Żmudka

Post Kardiol Interw 2010; 6, 3 (21): 97-103
Online publish date: 2010/10/01
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Background: Clinical outcomes of patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) disqualified from an invasive strategy (InvS) are poorly understood.

Aim: To investigate the short-term result of a conservative strategy (ConS) in a real-life population of patients with STEMI.

Material and methods: 1031 patients with STEMI were retrospectively analyzed. Of these, 194 (18.8%) patients were initially qualified to the ConS. For the remaining 837 (81.2%) patients the InvS was applied.

Results: The most frequent reasons for disqualification from an InvS in STEMI patients were the duration of ischemia > 12 h (81.4%), aborted STEMI (9.8%) and anticipated transportation time > 2 h (3.1%). On admission, in the group of InvS, cardiogenic shock was noted in 45 (5.4%) patients. Death within 30 days was more frequently observed in STEMI patients who underwent ConS vs. InvS (13.9% vs. 9.0%, p = 0.037). During initial hospitalization 22 (11.3%) patients who underwent ConS and 34 (4.1%, p < 0.001) with InvS developed symptoms of heart failure (Killip class 2-4). Age (OR 1.07 per year, 95% CI 1.04-1.11, p < 0.0001) and conservative strategy (OR 1.55, 95% CI 0.73-4.86, p = 0.035) were the independent predictors of death within 30 days. Moreover, in patients with InvS cardiogenic shock on admission (OR 52.4, 95% CI 18.7-134.1, p < 0.0001) and in patients with ConS heart failure during hospitalization (OR 10.8, 95% CI 3.2-36.7, p = 0.0002) independently influenced the 30-day mortality (c-statistics 0.83).

Conclusions: Duration of ischemia of more than 12 h was the main reason for disqualification from InvS. Applied ConS was associated with higher 30-day mortality when compared to InvS. The symptoms of heart failure were an independent predictor of death within 30 days in patients with ConS.
keywords:

ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction, conservative strategy, percutaneous coronary intervention

Quick links
© 2019 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe