eISSN: 2299-0054
ISSN: 1895-4588
Videosurgery and Other Miniinvasive Techniques
Current issue Archive Videoforum Manuscripts accepted About the journal Supplements Abstracting and indexing Subscription Contact Instructions for authors
SCImago Journal & Country Rank


2/2019
vol. 14
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Original paper

Prostate Imaging Reporting and Data System in prostate cancer staging and planning for radical prostatectomy

Mieszko Kozikowski, Bartłomiej Zagożdżon, Magdalena Gola, Jakub Dobruch

Videosurgery Miniinv 2019; 14 (2): 262–270
Online publish date: 2019/03/26
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Introduction
The Prostate Imaging Reporting and Data System (PI-RADS) was mainly developed for the purposes of prostate cancer (PCa) detection. However, its widespread use suggests that it may play a role in a preoperative workup prior to endoscopic radical prostatectomy (ERP).

Aim
To evaluate the prognostic value of PI-RADS in predicting extraprostatic extension (EPE) and its influence on surgical planning of ERP.

Material and methods
The analysis involved data of 154 consecutive prostate cancer patients, in whom multiparametric 3.0T magnetic resonance imaging (mpMRI) was performed before ERP. Standard descriptive assessment of mpMRI images was compared with the PI-RADS system with respect to prostate cancer staging and subsequent potential surgical template adjustment.

Results
PI-RADS significantly outperformed the standard way of mpMRI reporting in staging (AUC = 0.615 vs. 0.552, p = 0.036) with PI-RADS 5 established as the best threshold. After reevaluation of imaging, the initial surgical plan was modified based on mpMRI in terms of feasibility and extent of neurovascular bundle preservation during ERP on 96 (31.2%) sides, while on the remaining 212 (68.8%) sides the templates were left unchanged. Decisions based on mpMRI were not associated with increased risk of a positive surgical margin (PSM).

Conclusions
The PI-RADS outperforms the standard staging method using mpMRI and may assist the decision-making process regarding the extent of resection during ERP without increasing the risk of PSM.

keywords:

radical prostatectomy, decision-making, neurovascular bundle, multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging, prostate cancer, mini-invasive surgery

  
Quick links
© 2019 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe