eISSN: 2081-2841
ISSN: 1689-832X
Journal of Contemporary Brachytherapy
Current Issue Archive Supplements Articles in Press Journal Information Aims and Scope Editorial Office Editorial Board Register as Author Register as Reviewer Instructions for Authors Abstracting and indexing Subscription Advertising Information Links
SCImago Journal & Country Rank

1/2020
vol. 12
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
abstract:
Original paper

A history of transurethral resection of the prostate should not be a contra-indication for low-dose-rate 125I prostate brachytherapy: results of a prospective Uro-GEC phase-II trial

Carl Salembier
,
Ann Henry
,
Bradley R. Pieters
,
Peter Hoskin

J Contemp Brachytherapy 2020; 12, 1: 1–5
Online publish date: 2020/02/28
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Purpose
Early reports suggested that transurethral resection (TURP) prior to permanent seed brachytherapy (BT) results in high incontinence rates. Guidelines consider prior TURP as a contra-indication to treatment, but improvements in imaging and treatment planning may reduce this risk, and are investigated in this prospective study.

Material and methods
99 men with histologically proven low- to intermediate-risk, localized prostate cancer, with a history of TURP performed at least 3 months before BT procedure were enrolled. All patients received a permanent seed implant between March 2009 and June 2015. Intra-operative interactive planning was recommended to ensure optimal accuracy of seed placement during the procedure. No supplemental external beam was allowed. Target and organ at risk contouring, definition of clinical target volume (CTV), and dosimetric parameters followed the modified GEC-ESTRO guidelines for permanent seed implants, as described an earlier report of our group. Follow-up was scheduled every 3 months for the first year, and every 6 months afterwards, with minimum follow-up of 2 years.

Study endpoints
the primary endpoint was the incidence of post-implant urinary incontinence. Secondary endpoints were the incidence of urinary and gastro-intestinal toxicity, the eventual impact on the sexual function, and the freedom from biochemical failure.

Results
The median follow-up time for these 99 patients was 49 months (min. 24, max. 96). In this series, the incontinence rate was 2% after TURP + BT and 2% in case of TURP + BT + re-TURP, ending up with a total urinary incontinence rate of 4%. Acute and late urinary toxicities were extremely low. No significant late gastro-intestinal toxicity was seen, and the 5-year biochemical non-evidence of disease (bNED) was 93%.

Conclusions
The excellent long-term results and low morbidity presented as well as many advantages of prostate brachytherapy over other treatments demonstrates that brachytherapy is an effective treatment for patients with transurethral resection and organ-confined prostate cancer.

keywords:

brachytherapy, permanent seed implant, transurethral resection of prostate

 
Quick links
© 2020 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe